TechnologyComputers, Internet and more...
Linux is the best-known and most-used open source operating system. When it comes to performance, reliability, security and privacy, Linux is for you. We will provide website for regular people to choose, use and learn Linux.
- Linux.com is the go-to resource for open source professionals to learn about the latest in Linux and open source technology, and industry trends. Get news, information, and tutorials to help advance your next project - or just to simply stay informed.
- Linux Foundation - Helping open technology projects build world class open source software, communities and companies.
- LinuxNewbieGuide.org is the place for beginner's to get started with Linux.
- FossLinux.com offers a beginner's guide to Linux.
- Switched to Linux is dedicated to helping people make the switch to a Linux based desktop system and get real work done.
- Ubuntu is a Linux distribution based on Debian and composed mostly of free and open-source software.
- Debian, also known as Debian GNU/Linux, is a Linux distribution composed of free and open-source software, developed by the community-supported Debian Project,
- CentOS is a Linux distribution that provides a free and open-source community-supported computing platform, functionally compatible with its upstream source, Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a commercial open-source Linux distribution developed by Red Hat for the commercial market.
- Gentoo is a Linux distribution built using the Portage package management system. Unlike a binary software distribution, the source code is compiled locally according to the user's preferences and is often optimized for the specific type of computer.
- Fedora is a selection of curated bundles of purpose-driven software and content as curated and maintained by members of the Fedora Community.
- OpenSUSE, formerly SUSE Linux and SuSE Linux Professional, is a Linux distribution sponsored by SUSE Linux GmbH and other companies.
- Elementary OS is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu that focuses mainly on non-technical users.
- Linux Mint is an elegant, easy to use, up to date and comfortable desktop operating system.
- Arch Linux is an independently developed, x86-64 general-purpose Linux distribution that strives to provide the latest stable versions of most software by following a rolling-release model.
- Manjaro is a free and open-source Linux distribution based on the Arch Linux operating system that has a focus on user-friendliness and accessibility.
- Oracle Linux is a Linux distribution packaged and freely distributed by Oracle, available partially under the GNU General Public License since late 2006.
- Slackware is a Linux distribution created by Patrick Volkerding in 1993.
- Mageia is a Linux-based operating system, distributed as free and open source software. It was forked from the Mandriva Linux distribution.
- Clear Linux is a Linux distribution, developed and maintained on Intel's 01.org open-source platform, and optimized for Intel's microprocessors with an emphasis on performance and security
- Rocky Linux is a Linux distribution developed by Rocky Enterprise Software Foundation.
- AlmaLinux is a free and open source Linux distribution, created originally by CloudLinux to provide a community-supported, production-grade enterprise operating system that is binary-compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Asahi Linux is a project that aims to port Linux to newer Apple silicon-powered Macs, allowing them to run a different operating system than macOS.
- Lubuntu is a lightweight Linux distribution based on Ubuntu and uses the LXQt desktop environment in place of Ubuntu's GNOME desktop.
- SUSE Linux is a computer operating system developed by SUSE. It is built on top of the free and open source Linux kernel and is distributed with system and application software from other open source projects.
- Knoppix is an operating system based on Debian designed to be run directly from a CD / DVD or a USB flash drive, one of the first of its kind for any operating system.
- Peppermint OS is a Linux distribution based on Debian Stable, it uses the Xfce desktop environment.
- Zorin OS is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu.
- BlackArch Linux
Join The FediverseAn alternative to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube...
Join Mastodon: https://joinmastodon.org/serversJoin Lemmy is a selfhosted social link aggregation and discussion platform.Join Peertube: https://joinpeertube.org/Join PixelFed: https://pixelfed.org/servers
- Trunk allows you to mass-follow a bunch of people in order to get started with Mastodon or any other platform on the Fediverse.
- https://fedi.directory is a list of interesting accounts to follow on Mastodon and the Fediverse.
Follow us: mastodon.online/web/@BookwormCowboy
Should You Get a VPN?
The short answer: Yes. If you care about your privacy, security, and censorship, a VPN provides a simple solution at an affordable price. However, there are countless options, so making sure your chosen VPN can access your favorite sites, works on your devices, and won't slow down your Internet connection is crucial. The competition is fierce and with so much biased info on the Internet, it can seem difficult to separate fact from profit-driven fiction. How can you be sure which VPN is the best choice for your needs? Ask your friends and family on social media to learn what VPN they use or not.
- Brave Search is the world's most complete, independent, private search engine.
- JoshWho Search - Search without shame, no tracking, no censorship, and we respect your privacy.
- Presearch is a decentralized search engine, powered by the community.
- Searx.be is a free and open-source metasearch engine.
- Startpage to protect your personal data. Search and browse the internet without being tracked or targeted.
- Swisscows has no interest in your data. We do not store any data, we do not build up any search history, and we guarantee absolute anonymity.
- Open Hardware Monitor is a FREE open source software that monitors temperature sensors, fan speeds, voltages, load and clock speeds of a computer.
- Autoruns is a FREE utility tool that can help you make your computer's run faster and smoother. Designed for Windows, the program comes with a comprehensive interface via which you can get information on all programs that run automatically during startup.
- 7-Zip is a FREE open-source file archiver, a utility used to place groups of files within compressed containers known as "archives".
- VLC is FREE open source multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols
- Audacity is an easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems.
- Tor Browser, you are free to access sites your home network may have blocked. We believe everyone should be able to explore the internet with privacy.
- Lokinet is an onion-router that lets you access the internet anonymously. Built on LLARP, the fastest onion-routing protocol in the world.
Gaming Chat Software
- Discord is the number-one proprietary freeware VoIP platform designed for video gaming communities, that specializes in text, image, video and audio communication between users in a chat channel. Discord works on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and in web browsers.
- TeamSpeak provides superior voice quality for its target audience, gamers, who can use the software to communicate with other players on the same team of a multiplayer game. Communicating by voice gives a competitive advantage by allowing players to keep their hands on the controls.
- Mumble is an open source voice communication application that features customization in game overlay, application skins, conversation recording, and advanced voice activity detection.
- Zello is the #1 push-to-talk and walkie talkie app, used by over 150 million people around the world. It turns any smartphone or connected device into a walkie-talkie — anywhere with Wi-Fi or cellular data service. We connect friends, family, and communities — to socialize as well as to organize in times of urgency.
- Voxer Walkie Talkie is both a live "push-to-talk" system and a voice messaging system for smartphones.
- Jitsi Meet let's you hold unlimited free meetings with up to 100 participants at a time. End-to-End encryption. Multiple participants can share their screen simultaneously. Remotely control other participants desktop. Integrations (Google, Microsoft, Slack) by 8x8 Meet.
- Element.io - Element is a Matrix-based end-to-end encrypted messenger and secure collaboration app. It's decentralised for digital sovereign self-hosting, or through a hosting service such as Element Matrix Services. Element operates on the open Matrix network to provide interoperability and easy connections.
Terms of Service Review Site
Terms of Service; Didn't Read is a community project which aims to analyze and grade the terms of service and privacy policies of major Internet sites and services. Get informed instantly about websites' terms & privacy policies, with ratings and summaries.